Baiardo History

Baiardo, known as the "Terrace on the Alps", has seen the best and worst of the last 2000 years. It boasts exceptionally beautiful views of the Ligurian and Maritime Alps, due to its panoramic position on the summit of a hill. Its medieval nucleus, gathered around a church, was abandoned following the 1887 earthquake which caused the collapse of the Vault of San Nicolo.
Before the Romans came to power, the ruined church, which is situated at the top of the mountain(close to the holiday accommodation), served as a Druid shrine. Some of the old stone columns have survived the years and can still be seen. Later a castle took the place of the shrine and then in the 12th century, that castle was replaced by a church.
On Ash Wednesday in 1887, several hundred farmers gathered under its arches to celebrate mass before heading out to work on their small terraced fields. However, most of them never made it. During the service a powerful earthquake brought down the church roof, killing over one hundred people. After the earthquake, the villagers abandoned their mountain-top homes to move a little further down the hillside, where the centre of Baiardo is now located. The new Parish Church, consecrated in 1893, preserves a precious triptych by Francesco de Verzate(1465), an exceptional testimony of the activity of this Lombard painter in Liguria. Also the Oratory of San Salvatore contains a Polyptych of the Transfiguration by Emanuele Maccari, from 1552.
colonna_entrata_chiesa When the Second World War arrived, everything changed again. The Italian nation split into three distinct camps: the fascists, the partisans who fought the fascists, and the independents who chose not to take sides. The region around Baiardo was a bastion of the partisans and an area of violent activity.
Away from war, legend has it that Baiardo's natural spring water has healing properties and close by there is a stone table, which may have been used by the Druids for sacrifices.
Myth or Magic - Baiardo has both!